Saturday, March 26, 2016

The Dreaded “S” Word . . . Studying


When I first began teaching GED, I naively believed that if I assigned it, the students would study it.  Funny, right?  Over the ensuing semesters I found this reticence to studying usually fell into one of two categories: 1. Learners didn’t know how to study, or 2. They didn’t think they had time to study.
We all know that it is a truth, universally acknowledged, that students need to make sacrifices for their education.  However, for many students, they don’t know where to begin.  
This gave me the unique opportunity to teach more than just the material on the test.  
Helping students build life skills and study skills is sometimes just as important as the academic content.  All the math lectures and writing practices in the world won’t make a difference if the learner doesn’t know how to prioritize study time and organize their schedules to make time to study.  
At the beginning of each semester I began to focus on building organizational skills and the all important study skills.  I would have each student map out their daily routine and schedule their individual study time.  I have found that this small change can empower students, and help them build confidence in their academic abilities.  

No comments:

Post a Comment